Sunday, April 10, 2011

I am not an appendix.

Every Tuesday morning at NCC we have an all staff meeting. Well...meeting might be a bit strong, it is more like an all staff gathering. Honestly its one of my favorite parts of the week. The entire staff stops what they are doing to come together and share what has been happening in the past week. There is no agenda or official minutes, but I sometimes come out of those meetings feeling like more was accomplished in that last half hour than in any of the official "meetings" I have had at other jobs.

Each week one staff member shares a short devotional during the meeting. This past Tuesday was my turn. Now let me remind you...I am on staff at a church. A church. Full of pastors. Pastors that are great at what they do. Great thinkers and communicators that know a ton more about the Bible than I ever have. I work in the coffeehouse. So what in the world was I possibly going to share with this group of people? What could I have to say that would make an ounce of difference to any of them? It's not that I thought that they would be sitting there booing me, because these are beautiful, kind people. But what if I got one of those terrible to pronounce Bible names or places? What if my interpretation was weak or kind-of a stretch? What if I just didn't communicate well?

The Biblical metaphor that has always resonated with me, is the idea that we are the body of Christ. If we are a "body," then we all have a role. A distinct separate role, that can all work together for a common goal. No one part is better than another. Each is separate yet united. I love this idea. I love it, but I became aware this week that I am not sure that I fully believe it.

When faced with sharing this devotional, I felt like I was sharing to a roomful of lungs, hearts and brains of the body. I was a mere appendix. Not really that useful at all and really not of much value to the entire body. Shoot, I know numerous people that have had theirs removed and they don't even feel a difference now that its gone. I felt like an appendix.

But I was still required to share a devotional with these vital organs, so I did. I changed my topic a couple of times before landing on the thing that was closest to my heart. I shared on a topic that I am passionate about and I shared as honestly as I could. To my surprise as I spoke and I looked around, not to see the room full of people I feel are smarter and more spiritual than myself judging me for skipping the hard to pronounce words from the Bible references, but to see smiles and nods. They were listening. To me.

When I finished, I felt like God showed me something. I was not an appendix after all. The point of that metaphor is not to seek out the most useless organ and identify with that, but instead to understand that we are all vital organs. Throughout the day I had people I really respect tell me they appreciated what I had to say and how I said it. I don't say this to boost my own ego but to say that God is teaching me that we all are vital. We all have a voice. Even me. I am not an appendix. Neither are you.

4 comments:

  1. Great post Heather.. Seriously. You are vital, important & cherished! :-) love you lots!! Glad you are at DC!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is fantastic. Love it. Love you. Thanks for being a part of the team.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Heather GREAT POST! I appreciate you so much and your words that you shared. You are an amazing part of this team and I am so glad I get to serve alongside of you at NCC! Thanks for the value you had to my life and to the DNA and mission of NCC!

    You are a true rock star! And a an amazing encourager!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow! Thanks so much guys! I truly feel so blessed to not only do this, but to get to know each of you. Thank you for the impact each of you is having on my life.

    ReplyDelete