Sunday, August 7, 2011

How time flies...

I can't even believe it but I have been in DC for 11 months now. I think this has been the fastest 11 months of my life. We have less than three weeks left in this year's protege program. That's insane. This year has been off the charts amazing. I feel like I've grown so much and learned so many new things.

I do have to say, one of the best parts of this year is the people I've met. It seems crazy to think that a year ago I had never met any of the people that are a regular part of my everyday life now. These are people I truly miss when I don't see for a few days and I find myself wishing they were around when they aren't.

Perhaps above anyone, the group I've grown closest to this year is the five other proteges. If you haven't met these people yet, you're missing out. I honestly love them so much. I love our weekly protege huddle because its one of the rare times when all six of us can just sit down and catch up. When I look around our circle, it funny because we are all very different. We each come from different places with backgrounds and upbringings as varied as our specific areas of focus. Each has brought a fresh perspective to the group and I can honestly say I've have learned from each of them.

Here are just a few of the things I love most about each of them (in no particular order of course):

  • Reagan: Reagan brings joy with her everywhere she goes. I've gotten the chance to share a desk with her this year and we got to co-lead a small group this summer. Reagan's passion for creativity is infectious. She doesn't settle for what is but strives for what could be. She is also the most likely person to leave you a gift on your desk with a simple note that can make your day. I wouldn't want to have shared a desk with anyone else.

  • Diana: I've gotten the opportunity to watch Diana grow this year. She started the year with so many insecurities and I've gotten to watch as one by one she tackled those head on. I'm so very proud of her. Diana also has one of the biggest hearts I've seen. Caring for others comes so naturally to her. It's simply amazing to watch her ministering to others. Its almost effortless for her.

  • Davey: What can I say about Davey? I love Davey. He's a self-proclaimed cynic but he has one of the kindest, most giving hearts I've ever seen. He simply lights up when he talks about his ministry with the homeless population of DC. When others would shy away from these people on the streets, Davey is trying to come up with ways to truly bless them. It's inspiring. He's inspiring.

  • Travis: Travis has taught me to think bigger. Travis is not one to settle for second best and I love that about him. Travis is also one of the first people to give God the credit. He believes strongly in the power of the Holy Spirit and that is evident within the first few moments speaking with him. He understands that ministry is about more than leadership formulas, it's about succumbing to the Holy Spirit.

  • Josh: Josh has a servant's heart. He loves people and he is so welcoming. Josh radiates hospitality but in a way that pushes you. He has the ability to ask questions that push you all with amazing humility and grace. He and his wife Kelly have a passion for seeing people come to Christ and they have both been a blessing to our entire protege class.

I'm sad to see the end of our year together coming up so quickly. But at the same time, I'm really excited to see where everyone ends up and what they each achieve. These are all people with great passion and I simply cannot wait to see how God continues to use them and guide their footsteps. I truly am so thankful for each of them. They have each blessed me in more ways than I can list here.

No comments:

Post a Comment